Dear readers, last year I started my couture guest blogging series on BurdaStyle with this small quiz. Almost a year later, and I am revisiting it with a slightly edited post on my own blog. Let's call it celebrating a milestone. What milestone, you may ask? A year of intensive couture learning and ... but more about it later. For now, enjoy the quiz!
So, you are an Haute Couture aficionado if:
- ...you know the difference between even and uneven basting stitch
- ...you always have handy a spool of Japanese silk basting thread and at least one pack of the finest hand sewing needles
- ...you have more than one type of many sewing tools and can justify why you need each of them
- ...you know the difference between interlining and interfacing
- ...your F* and S* words are ‘fuse’ and 'serge'
- ...you have yards of silk organza in your fabric stash
- ...you know at least four different ways to handle darts
- ...your seam allowances are often humongous
- ...you know what beeswax is used for
- ...sewing hand-picked zipper or hand-bound buttonholes is a breeze for you
- ...you often spend more time pressing than sewing
- ...every time you sew with loosely woven fabric you feel the urge to quilt the lining
- ...constructing a Chanel-inspired couture jacket is/was on your to-do list…and you can name at least five characteristic features of a couture Chanel jacket
- ...you have spent more money on sewing courses than on ready-to-wear garments
- ...your family is versed in most couture and tailoring techniques you use and can explain them to a stranger
- ...you wonder why this list is so short and are able to add at least twice as many items to it
So, are you couture aficionados, readers? If yes, feel free to continue the list!